Friday, December 5, 2008

Parrot Snatched from the Tarmac

A Story about an African Parrot

The New York Times “books of the year” includes a book called Alex and Me by Irene Pepperberg. In the first few pages you will realize how much Ms. Pepperberg and the African Grey had bonded. It is a very interesting book and one that I would recommend any bird/animal lover will want to read. But this story is not about Alex but about another African Grey.

Back in the early 1970s, during Idi Amin’s campaign against Asians in Uganda, households and their animals fled to whereever they could for safety. Pilots from the East African Airways would fly in and literally grab whatever was on the runway and take off without ever turning their engines off. One day an African Grey was rescued from the tarmac and made it to London at the beginning of the winter season. Since no one would take him in I did even though I was scared of parrot like birds.

To make a long story short, he was not happy, his feathers began to molt and he looked very sad and never said a word. I tried leaving music on for him to no avail. Then I tried leaving the heat and the music on and still no luck Then I went to Harrods department store who are suppose to know everything about everything and I came back with guaranteed parrot food mix; that did not work either. What was I going to do, he was almost bald now. Perhaps he needed to fly a bit! So I let him out of the cage without any thought of how I would get him back in again. That was a disaster. I tried throwing (from a distance) a large sheet over him so I could than capture him! I guess that God gave birds’ wings so they can evade such primitive efforts of capture. Each time the sheet landed on him he flew from underneath the sheet and squawked and squawked. I think he had a grand old time. I went to bed exhausted. The bird was free and he celebrated by pooping everywhere.

Four weeks later the owners arrived in the UK. They were conservative Hindus. They gratefully took back their parrot and immediately fed him green chilies; this is what the bird was missing and definitely not on the Harrods menu of bird feed. But then, much to my astonishment and shame the bird began to talk. He spoke every bad thing I had said about it along with all the swear words I spoke in frustration because he would not eat.

How you Can do to Help:
Never get an animal that you keep in a manner they need to live a comfortable life.

Sponsor a parrot at Best Friends Parrot Garden

2 comments:

Kathy Heaton said...

Ah, the best of intentions...

Many pet rescuers can relate similar stories! Assistance is offered before they fully understand what's involved. Some are equal to the task, quickly learning what must be done.

Others abandon the animal.

Congratulations on a good outcome to your precarious (and humorous) situation!

Kathy Heaton
59°F in Houston TX
· Owner-moderator, Bird Breeder-Hobbyist newsboard
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bird_Breeder-Hobbyist
· Moderator, Celebrate Parrots online bird club
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CelebrateParrots

General Advice:
Never accept an animal you are not prepared to keep in the manner it requires to live a healthy and comfortable life. Otherwise, locate someone who is, or turn it over to a local humane association.

Kathy Heaton said...

"... But here at Best Friends' Parrot Garden, they have a safe haven where they can rest their wings whenever life ..."

5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab, Utah 84741

www.bestfriends.org/atthesanctuary/animals/birds.cfm